The Louisiana Department of Education offers a Curriculum Initiative to help Type III centers purchase a Tier One curriculum. Centers can get reimbursed for up to 80% of the cost of purchasing curricula. Type III early learning centers are eligible to participate in the current fiscal year of the initiative (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022), regardless of their participation in previous fiscal years. All applications are due by May 15, 2022.
2021-2022 Application (download before filling it out, on a Windows computer, you can right click and select “Save As” option to save to your desktop or documents)
LDE’S Child Care Curriculum Guidance
Tier I Curriculum Reviews
Key Facts about the Curriculum Initiative
Overview of the Curriculum Initiative Process
The Louisiana Department of Education launched a Curriculum Initiative to help Type III centers purchase an approved Tier One curriculum. Centers can get reimbursed for up to 80% of the cost of purchasing curricula.
- A center purchases a Tier I Curriculum.
- We recommend purchasing directly from the vendor, as LDOE will only reimburse up to the approved amount for that particular curriculum kit. You can often get a better rate on shipping if you call the vendor and mention that you are purchasing it through the Louisiana Curriculum Initiative.
- Your Agenda for Children coach is happy to walk you through the process of selecting a curriculum for your program. While we can’t recommend any specific program, our coaches have received training on the Tier One curriculum and can give you more information about each.
- Be sure to select only a curriculum kit that appears on the LDE-approved list, as some publishers offer curriculum or versions that are not approved.
- You can purchase a maximum of two curriculum kits (one Infant/Toddler and one Pre-K, two infant/toddler kits or two pre-k kits.) KEEP INVOICE(S), PACKING SLIPS AND DELIVERY RECEIPT(S).
- The program leader submits an application and all required documentation to Agenda for Children. The staff here at Agenda for Children is happy to walk you through the process. Contact your coach or Agenda for Children’s office at 504-586-8509 with any questions you may have.
- Agenda for Children, your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency (R&R), reviews your application and submits it to the Louisiana Department of Education (LDE) for reimbursement.
- Agenda for Children writes your center a check for the approved amount of the reimbursement (or pays you electronically if your program is set up through bill.com). You can expect to receive reimbursement within thirty days if the costs are reimbursable and you have submitted all required document. We are committed to working as hard as possible to process applications and payments in a timely fashion. We will also be sure to keep you updated on the status of your application and payment.
- The LDE approves the request and reimburses Agenda for Children. LDE will reimburse centers for 80% of the costs of purchasing up to two curricula, up to a maximum reimbursement of $4,000 (meaning that the curricula can cost up to $5,000). If the LDE finds any of your purchases to be ineligible, we will invoice your program to recoup any funds deemed ineligible by the LDE.
- Your center follows up with training and ongoing support to help your teachers implement the curriculum. Your coach can help you implement a curriculum and develop a plan to support your teachers’ professional development!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which curricula can I buy?
You can only be reimbursed for approved Tier I curricula. You can see a full list of Tier I curricula in the Child Care Curriculum Guidance. Be sure to check the list of approved curricula to make sure that the particular curricula you have selected is on the Tier I list before making a purchase! That means you should not purchase bundles or other items not explicitly listed in the guidance. Some companies offer other versions of curriculum kits that are not approved, so we encourage you to triple-check. You can also email us the links to the curricula you intend to purchase and we can let you know whether they are the right versions before you make the purchase.
Where can I learn more?
- The LDE has put together Child Care Curriculum Guidance to help centers understand more about the process, how to select the right curriculum for your program and the different Tier I curricula.
- Check out the LDE Curriculum Reviews (located in the “Early Childhood Education” section under “Instructional Materials.”
Can I receive reimbursement for sales taxes or shipping?
You cannot receive reimbursement for sales taxes or shipping, so be sure to budget accordingly!
Are discounts available on shipping?
In many cases, you can get a big savings on shipping by calling the company directly to order the curriculum kits and mentioning that the purchase is for the Louisiana Curriculum Initiative through the Louisiana Department of Education. These discounts are not available online.
What is the maximum reimbursement?
Centers can receive UP TO $4,000. They will be reimbursed for 80% of the cost of the curriculum itself (not taxes or shipping charges), up to a total curriculum cost of $5,000. Please note that you will not be reimbursed for more than two curricula, however.
How do I submit my application and supporting documentation?
Once your application package is complete, you can submit it through one of the following options:
- Scan all of the documents listed above and email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail COPIES of all of your materials and documentation to: Agenda for Children, Attn: Curriculum Initiative, 8300 Earhart Blvd. Suite 201, New Orleans, LA 70118. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL RECEIPTS OR SHIPPING LABELS!
If I want to buy two curricula, do I have to buy them at the same time?
No. You can purchase one curricula now and receive reimbursement, and then purchase a second one at a later date.
I know that I can get reimbursed for buying two curricula. Does that mean that each curriculum has to be for a different age group?
No-if you want to do so, you can buy two Infant/Toddler or two Preschool curricula. Of course, you can buy one Infant/Toddler and one Preschool curriculum.
When do I need to submit my materials and application?
Please submit your application and all supporting materials and documentation as soon as possible after purchase. All applications should be submitted by May 15, 2022.
What is my “site code”?
Every early childhood provider (including centers and schools) that is part of a local community network has a site code. You can find your site code on the Louisiana Believes web site.